So tomorrow is the big Vday and my son's school is having a little party to hop the kids up on sugar and send them home all crazy and demented. I signed up to bring cupcakes because who doesn't love cupcakes (!!) and I would rather be the mom with the cupcakes than the one who brought the broccoli. Am I right?!
These cupcakes are my absolute favorite in the world. I usually make them for my birthday in June which is prime strawberry season here in Southern California. Even though it's a touch early for strawberries, I really wanted to make these cupcakes for the kids & staff. They taste like summer sunshine and blue skies and happiness. Ok, well maybe they just really taste like strawberry, but they make me happy.
Strawberry Blossom Cupcakes
2-1/2 cup cake flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper cupcake liners, set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking soda and salt, set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together using an electric mixer (I use my stand mixer).
4. Add eggs. Mix until smooth and creamy.
5. Add buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Mix until combined.
6. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.
7. Gently fold in strawberries.
8. Fill cupcake liners half full and bake 18-20 minutes. Let cool.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup fresh whole strawberries
2 tablespoons strawberry liqueur (the alcohol cooks off, I swear!)
1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
16 ounces cream cheese
3 sticks unsalted butter
3-1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1. Please strawberries, liqueur and lemon juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
2. Stir and reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Let cool, then place mixture in a food processor/blender and puree until smooth. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer (or stand mixer), mix the cream cheese and butter until creamy.
5. Slowly add the confectioners sugar and mix until combined.
6. Add the vanilla and strawberry puree and mix until combined.
7. Frost and serve.
This recipe makes 24 cupcakes and I have NO idea where it original recipe came from. My mom found it ages ago and we've been in love with it since. I hope they make your taste-buds dance with delight. Oh, and they are totally calorie free....um...yeah.